Wednesday, August 31, 2011

It's haunted me

Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question and answer it on our own blogs. You can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.


This Week's Topic:
What was the best book you read in August?

The best book I read this month isn’t a YA but it’s rather brilliant.

It’s ‘End of the Night Girl’ by Amy T. Matthews.

Amy belongs to a writers group I attend. Here’s what the publisher Wakefield press says on its site:

Molly, a sassy Australian waitress, is haunted by the ghost of a murdered Polish Jew. The two young women's stories, each a compelling page-turner, combine teasingly in one as End of the Night Girl explores shadows cast by the Holocaust across decades, continents and cultures.

Wow, huh?

It sounds intense and I found it so, and amazing and emotional and thought provoking. It’s so wonderfully and skillfully told and it’s haunted me since.

I was lucky enough to attend the book launch (pic below) and am thrilled Amy has a real success story here in her first book.


What have you read that’s made you think this month?

2 comments:

  1. It does SOUND amazing! Will have to put it on my EVER growing TBR pile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm 3/4 way through (it's my reward book - so I have to work to get to read it). You are right - it is very thought provoking and brilliantly written.

    Love those photos of Amy.

    ReplyDelete

i love comments. they make me happy.